Member Monday Featuring Jennifer McCants
Welcome back to another Member Monday featured profile, where we take you behind the scenes of a photo, and talk to the photographer who took the shot!
Jennifer McCants is a Florida photographer who loves to capture special family moments.
Here’s Jennifer to share more about her photography journey!
About the Photographer
- Hometown: Valrico, FL
- Years in Photography: 6 years
- Years as a KO Member: 3 years
About the Photo:
- Title: A Father’s Love
- Location: Winthrop Town Centre, Riverview
- Any additional description of the photograph: I shot this image during a family photoshoot outside, on location. We’d just taken several photos at a couple of different areas and the 14-year-old boy, who is severely autistic, needed a short break. A little bit later, we were standing in an alley, the boy was up on a ledge with his dad beside him and I caught this candid, special moment between the two of them. I turned it into a fine art style portrait for them and they were overjoyed by the result.
- Gear/Software Used: Canon 77D, 18-135mm Canon lens
Describe your creative style in 3 words
Inspired, Spontaneous, Natural
Tell us about a time you struggled or failed with your photography, and how you overcame it?
When I began, trying to figure out what worked and what didn’t was definitely my biggest struggle. I decided I couldn’t learn it all on my own so I started reading books and magazines, attended a KelbyOne workshop, then Photoshop World in 2019 (where I won the First-Timer Guru award) and I haven’t stopped since. I love to learn and I love to create. I still struggle, but I find that the photography community in general and KelbyOne especially are always willing to help and give advice when needed. It has been essential to my growth, for sure.
What sparked your love of photography?
I have always loved being creative, but my kids inspired my initial passion for photography.
What’s your favorite class on KelbyOne and why?
No Two Light Paintings Look-Alike by Dave Black.
Connect with Jennifer
Keep up with Jennifer via her Facebook and Instagram profiles!
Thanks to Jennifer for taking us behind-the-shot of this spectacular image!
Thank you for joining us for another Member Monday! If you haven’t yet, be sure to submit your photos for a chance to receive a Member Monday feature of your own.