Member Monday Featuring Dave Spates
Our next featured photo reminds us of our friend Ramtin Kazemi. We absolutely love the cool tones, the icy lake foreground, and mountain views in this shot from KelbyOne member Dave Spates!
Dave’s love of mountains and lakes jumps off the screen with his photos. Colorado is a place that calls to so many photographers, so it makes sense that he chose such a beautiful landscape to frame.
Here’s Dave to talk about the progression and journey of his work!
About the Photographer
- Hometown: Denver, Colorado
- Years in Photography: 10
- Years as a KO Member: 3
About the Photo:
- Title: Cold Mountains on Fire
- Location: Sprague Lake, Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado
- Any additional description of the photograph: Had my tripod submerged in the unfrozen part of the stream, while I was leaning to the side, to get a low enough angle to catch the partially frozen lake with the mountains in the background.
- Gear/Software Used: Nikon D750 and 24mm 1.8, RRS ground-level tripod and Acratech Ballhead
What is one thing you wish you would have known before starting photography?
The giant money pit I was getting myself into.
Who are some of your role models/mentors?
Ramtin Kazemi and Glenn Randall are some of my favorite photographers.
What is your most treasured piece of photography equipment?
Recently got a ground-level Really Right Stuff tripod. Best purchase I’ve ever made.
What’s your favorite class on KelbyOne and why?
Ramtin Kazemi out in the field showing you how he gets the shots. He goes above and beyond and motivates me to try and do the same when out in the field.
Connect with Dave
You can find Dave online via his website, Instagram, or YouTube account.
Thanks, Dave for sharing your work with us here at KelbyOne! If you haven’t yet, be sure to submit your photos for a chance to receive a Member Monday featured post of your own.