Member Monday Featuring Clinton Ferrara
It’s another beautiful Member Monday! Today we’re joined by a KelbyOne member who is based on the Big Island in Hawaii, Clinton Ferrara.
Every landscape photographer dreams about a view like this—a wide-open plain with the beautiful sun glowing in the distance.
Clinton shares a bit about himself and his journey through this amazing photograph.
About the Photographer
- Hometown: I grew up in Massachusetts. I’ve spent most of my life traveling.
- Years in Photography: In the 70s I was a custom color printer in Atlanta, Boston, and San Francisco. I left photography because of the chemicals and having to work in the dark all day. I didn’t get back into photography until I discovered digital around 2004.
- Years as a KO Member: In 2006 a friend took me to a Ben Wilmore curves seminar in Portland. I joined KelbyOne (NAPP) that day at lunch break. The best photo move I’ve ever made.
About the Photo:
- Title: Waikoloa Sunset
- Location: Above Waikoloa village on the big island.
- Any additional description of the photograph: Taken from the side of the road. I was late to arrive so I had to pick a place to stop at and quickly set up and shoot.
- Gear/Software Used: My camera is a Nikon d610 with a Nikkor 28-300mm lens. I use Adobe Lightroom Cc and mobile. Adobe Photoshop Cc. This photo is just processed in Lightroom CC.
Describe your creative style in 3 words
Find interest in the everyday landscape. Impossible to say in 3 words.
Tell us about a time you struggled or failed with your photography, and how you overcame it?
My struggles and failures have been equipment related. Trying to get the shot without first learning the equipment. Getting back to the computer and discovering the images are out of focus or blurry. Blown out highlights and shadows.
I had to put myself back to my days in film. No light meter or autofocus. No LCD screen. I knew that camera and its settings in my sleep. Something I hadn’t done with my digital camera. I have since learned my camera and lenses.
What sparked your love of photography?
I went to art school with becoming an illustrator as my goal. That was cut short. I wound up in the service traveling a lot and I could afford a camera and a couple of lenses. The guys in the ships photo lab taught me how to process black and white. Once you’ve done your own film into print you are hooked.
What’s your favorite class on KelbyOne and why?
I have no favorite class other than the one I am watching at the moment. I have learned so much over the years about so many aspects of the digital world through KelbyOne. I don’t plan on stopping as long as there are new classes coming out.
Connect with Clinton
Big shout out to Clinton for sharing his work with us, and giving us a small look into his life as a photographer!
Submit Your Work
Thank you for joining us for another Member Monday! If you haven’t yet, be sure to submit your photos for a chance to receive a Member Monday feature of your own.