Member Monday Featuring Ryan Nelson-Paryag
At first, KelbyOne member Ryan Nelson-Paryag wasn’t sure whether these creatures were friends or foes. As it turns out, these two lizards were more than friends, and Ryan Nelson-Paryag was there to capture this perfect moment!
We’re turning it over to Ryan to share why he picked this scene to photograph!
About the Photographer
- Hometown: Grenada, West Indies, currently living in Houston, TX
- Years in Photography: Ten years
- Years as a KO Member: New Member
About the Photo:
- Title: Enemies or Lovers
- Location: Kingwood, TX
- Any additional description of the photograph: When I was watching the lizards, I thought they were fighting. It wasn’t until I did some research that I realized, ironically, they were actually doing a mating dance!
- Gear/Software Used: Nikon D700 with Sigma F4-5.6 70-300mm macro lens. Edited in Adobe Lightroom.
Describe your creative style in 3 words.
Determined, curious, patient.
Who are some of your role models/mentors?
I struggled with photographing my first wedding, which was for a family friend. My first mistake was not having a good contract in place and under-bidding the job. Secondly, the wedding was outside, mid-afternoon, so the lighting was a huge challenge. Finally, I didn’t have an experienced second shooter. I overcame these issues by watching Scott Kelby’s videos about Aperture Priority with Auto ISO, by talking to other photographers and most of all by practicing.
What sparked your love of photography?
I once heard a quote that caught my attention, “The longer we live the less and less beauty there is to see.” I didn’t believe that was true at the time, so I decided I wanted to use photography as a tool to capture as much beauty as I can. I also grew up in the Caribbean and seeing beauty all around me made it easy to seek out beautiful things through the lens of my camera.
What’s your favorite class on KelbyOne and why?
Connect with Ryan
Let’s give it up for Ryan for being an essential contributor to our awesome KelbyOne family!
Thank you for joining us for another Member Monday! If you haven’t yet, be sure to submit your photos for a chance to receive a Member Monday feature of your own.