Member Monday Featuring Jacob Epelbaum
Happy Monday everyone! Today we’re talking to New York based photographer, Jacob Epelbaum.
Every landscape photographer knows the work that goes into catching a sunrise like this—getting up early, going out in the darkness—but boy does it pay off!
Here’s Jacob to share his thoughts on this incredible photograph.
About the Photographer
- Hometown: Oceanside, NY
- Years in Photography: I’m just getting started with photography. I have been taking pictures for about 2 years.
- Years as a KO Member: I’ve been consistently inspired by KelbyOne courses, educators and community since 2017
About the Photo:
- Title: Morning Light
- Location: Lake George, NY
- Any additional description of the photograph: I absolutely love taking pictures at sunrise. The colors are amazing and absolutely breathtaking. But, the tranquility of the moment is just as enjoyable as the image itself. A few hours from when this image was captured, the very spot where I stood, becomes congested with continuous tourist foot traffic making it harder to appreciate the natural beauty of the lake and surrounding mountains. I took this image at 5 AM and stayed for another hour just enjoying the colors produced by the rising sun.
- Gear/Software Used: I used my Canon EOS R camera with an RF 24-105 F4L lens
Describe your creative style in 3 words
Still working on it
Tell us about a time you struggled or failed with your photography, and how you overcame it?
To be perfectly honest, since I’m still trying to find my bearings and confidence with photography, I would say that I’m still in that struggle/trial and error phase. But, my absolute love and interest for capturing moments like these as well as portraiture keeps me motivated to learn what I’m doing right and most importantly learn from my mistakes.
What sparked your love of photography?
I always loved photography, but never actually explored my creative side or took the initiative to try my hand at photography until about 3 years ago. I was on a family vacation in Mexico, and we booked a family photo session (first one, since my wedding day). When the pictures were delivered to us, I was in absolute awe with how beautiful they looked. Looking at those images made me realize that I wanted to explore being on the other side of the lens.
What’s your favorite class on KelbyOne and why?
My favorite class on KelbyOne is “Beginners Start Here, with Scott Kelby”. This is my favorite class because it solidified my path to taking photography more seriously and was the very initial foundation to learning how to capture images.
Connect with Jacob
My Instagram account is: https://www.instagram.com/jacobsphotos13/.
I don’t have a website yet, but I do plan on building one in the very near future.
Thanks to Jacob for sharing his story with us, and giving us a glimpse into his life as a photographer!
Thank you for joining us for another Member Monday! If you haven’t yet, be sure to submit your photos for a chance to receive a Member Monday feature of your own.