Member Monday Featuring Jeff Halverson
This week’s featured photo might make you pause and look up in awe. These redwoods can grow to be between 200 to 240 feet high—that’s almost taller than some U.S. monuments. Nature is amazing, right?!
We can’t wait to hear more about this shot from photographer Jeff Halverson.
Jeff will be taking over to describe the moment behind this photograph!
About the Photographer
- Hometown: Oregon, Wisconsin
- Years in Photography: My entire life – (7 serious years)
- Years as a KO Member: New Member
About the Photo:
- Title: Redwood Splendor
- Location: Jedidiah Smith Redwoods S.P. – California
- Any additional description of the photograph: I was on vacation with my family to the Pacific Northwest. On my wife’s bucket list was to see the Redwoods of northern California. We were about to head north to Oregon when we decided to take a brief stop at Jedidiah Smith State Park. The time was around 4pm and the sun was absolutely glorious that day—gracefully making its way through the tall canopy above. I didn’t realize it earlier but upon arriving home and doing some research, realized that around 3-4pm on a sunny day is a spectacular time to visit that area! Preparation to me is always key but a little luck sprinkled in never hurts either!
- Gear/Software Used: I used a Canon 7D Mark II with a Tamron 10-24mm F3.5-4.5 DiII VC wide-angle lens as I needed to capture as much of the trees and canopy as I could on our walk.
Describe your creative style in 3 words.
Action – Nature – People
Tell us about a time you struggled or failed with your photography, and how you overcame it.
I’ve always loved photography my entire life while taking photos throughout my lifetime—usually landscape and nature photographs. I made a commitment to get better and in 2013 I bought my first DSLR camera—a Canon Rebel. Of course, I had no idea how to use it. It was a humbling couple of years after I bought it. But, I kept on trying to improve my skills. Initially, in 2013, I searched for online instructional classes I could take… Kelby kept popping up!
I’ve learned so much from the instructional videos I’ve watched over the years. I went from knowing very little to being much more confident in myself. I think back to 2013 and look at some of those early photos. Wow. Kelby Training really has made all the difference for me.
What sparked your love of photography?
I’ve always loved photography since I was a little boy. Being an outdoorsman, nature photography and living an outdoor lifestyle went hand-in-hand. I’ve never looked back but have, certainly, looked into the future. I can’t wait to see what’s in store for me in the next five years in photography!
What’s your favorite class on KelbyOne and why?
I use Kelby training videos whenever I need that quick “refresher”, or maybe, some in-depth instruction I’m seeking. Lately, I’ve been watching Cliff Mautner and his wedding video instructional series. He’s got some wonderful ideas you can take into the field and try!
Of course, watching Scott teach any of his classes is helpful to me. I love Scott’s conversational teaching style. It feels like you’ve known him your entire life!
Connect with Jeff
Congratulations to Jeff on all of his growth and the hard work he puts into his photography. We appreciate his presence in our community!
Thank you for joining us for another Member Monday! If you haven’t yet, be sure to submit your photos for a chance to receive a Member Monday feature of your own.