Member Monday Featuring George Stark
Welcome back to the first Member Monday of 2021!
We’ve selected a two-in-one photo to start us off right. When done right, composites are a unique storytelling tool that can combine elements from different scenes and settings.
Seattle-based photographer George Stark has a special photo to share today.
George will take it from here!
About the Photographer
- Hometown: Butte, MT / Seattle, WA. Raised in Butte, MT, and have resided in Seattle for 47 years.
- Years in Photography: From Childhood onward… 65+ Years. 34 years as TV news photographer/editor in Seattle Market now retired. I continue my pursuit of photography shooting stills..and trying to master printing.
- Years as a KO Member: I like to say 22 years… I know KelbyOne is not that old… but I did sign up with NAPP in 1998 a few years before NAPP transformed into KelbyOne.
About the Photo:
- Title: Volcanic Plateau
- Location: Page, AZ / Island of Hawaii
- Any additional description of the photograph: This is a composite of two photos. I’ve always been in awe of volcanic activity. Observing the lava flow is observing the birth of a new landscape. It inspired me to start a personal project of combining lava and landscape images. My interpretation of before and after. The lava image was taken in 2017 I shot a series of lava flows at Kilauea Volcano Big Island Hawaii. The plateau image was taken near Page, AZ during a Sunset.
- Gear/Software Used: Canon 5D MK-IV / Lightroom – Photoshop
Describe your creative style in 3 words
Every Which Way
I struggle with the development of a personal style. I think right now that my style is that I have no style hence…. Every Which Way… Though I favor Landscape Photography I’m not locked into a specific subject or post-processing technique… always trying something new.
Tell us about a time you struggled or failed with your photography, and how you overcame it?
I’m always struggling with my photography… Very rarely am satisfied with a final image. I have a tendency to overthink…For example, I can end up with 8 versions of the same image and still can’t pick the ONE! I’m trying to teach myself to be more disciplined and make that final decision… Not easy for me.
What sparked your love of photography?
Sometimes I think it was just in my genes… From as early as I remember I’ve had a keen interest in cameras and the resulting images.
What’s your favorite class on KelbyOne and why?
Here comes that overthinking! I can’t pick just one class… What’s cool about KelbyOne is that it helps you overcome technical and mental roadblocks. If you run into a Photoshop/Lightroom roadblock, chances are you’ll find the answer here. Need inspiration? Chances are you’ll find it here.
Connect with George
You can connect with George via his website here!
Thanks to George for taking us behind-the-shot of this spectacular image!
Thank you for joining us for another Member Monday! If you haven’t yet, be sure to submit your photos for a chance to receive a Member Monday feature of your own.